This module aims to provide us with an understanding of how research contributes to and is embedded within design practices.This module we engage in design research to explore the meaning of Design Ethnography (DE).
Through a series of lectures and seminars the following will be addressed:
- Study skills
- History of research in design practices
- Practice-centred methodologies
- The reflective practitioner
- Social research methods for design inquiry
- Quantitative methods
- Ethnographic research
- Literature and critical reading
- Writing and reflection strategies
- Research in team contexts
- Communicating research
Case studies will be used to demonstrate key aspects of the above.
Our group first went through all the literature about DE，and then the key meanings of it wrote down by us. In addition, we categorized and presented the meanings into 5 themes: where is ethnography comes from; academic&commercial; approach&method and the field; storytelling; the ethic. Also we conducted our interviews with people who are alumni or work as design researchers that relevant to design ethnography.